According to Marketwatch, engineering consulting services are in demand today among all enterprises that want to occupy strong niches in the world market and keep up with the rapid pace of technology development. And the question isn’t only about how to hire world-class engineers.
Competent engineering consulting allows you to significantly optimize production processes and at the same time produce products of a decent level.
The introduction of new solutions can take place gradually, so consulting is relevant not only for emerging market objects but also for already successfully operating enterprises.
Small Business Size
Now the market is filled with small private enterprises operating in a wide variety of industries. With a modest number of employees in the team, the owners do not see the point of using the services of outsiders.
New technologies of personnel management, opportunities provided by the use of modern IT solutions, modern approaches to standardization, and quality control of business decisions are not available for the most part for representatives of small businesses. Using outdated management schemes, small businesses experience difficulties in entering export markets and struggle to compete with large companies and corporations. As a result, the potential inherent in the organizational and legal form of small enterprises (in particular, their mobility, the ability to re-profile in a short time, carry out restructuring, etc.) is not used to the proper extent.
Moreover, consulting for small businesses often becomes a tool for solving practical, applied problems of an organizational, financial, and legal nature:
- the development of tax policy and the choice of the taxation system;
- organizing and maintaining accounting records;
- legal support of activities and protection of their rights in court;
- assessment of human resources and the introduction of other forms of motivation and training of personnel, etc.
The results of such “applied” consulting for small businesses are quite tangible. This approach helps a small business, for example, switch to a new taxation system and optimize the tax burden, increase employee interest in work, collect overdue receivables, etc.
Unwillingness to Change and Follow Modern Market Requirements
Many automotive companies started small businesses and are used to the same business strategy. They do not want to change anything, contrary to general trends.
Any new enterprise, along with the development of a competitive product, management, and general organization of production and sales, has several engineering and technical issues. And appealing to consulting, for instance, automotive consulting at Engre platform could open a wide range of opportunities.
This is the choice of technologies, and the determination of material and information flows, and the assessment of the automotive tools, and the search for suitable processing equipment, and the calculation of the entire infrastructure: power supply, heating, ventilation, aspiration, compressed air preparation, intra-shop transport, and warehouses. Generally, anything that can be used in the automotive industry. This also includes the introduction of automation systems, barcoding, and automated warehouses. These are the technical issues that engineering and consulting companies deal with.
For operating enterprises, consultants can offer an audit of the production system. What does it reveal? For example, intersections and loops in the movement of material flows, lack or excess of space under intermediate warehouses, discrepancies in the performance of individual pieces of equipment … The companies have to deal with such shortcomings all the time. The machines, purchased at random and randomly placed in the workshop, very often do not agree with each other either in performance or in technological capabilities. So it turns out that, say, a powerful saw center fills the edge banding area with blanks, consisting of a pair of low-speed machines. Details clutter up all the aisles and driveways, get dusty, covered with scratches and chips. To clear the rubble, you have to appoint night shifts, but at night you suddenly discover a lack of parts that were cut during the day.
Like all other services, consulting is not provided free of charge, which is a repulsive factor for many. Very often, such an irrational economy can have a detrimental effect on the operation of the enterprise and the preservation of its importance in the market. For example, many investment projects in the world appear much more attractive to potential investors after competent optimization of work and, as a result, increase inefficiency.
The Value of Subjective Opinions of Employees
Some employees cannot understand why they should follow the instructions of a person who does not work for this firm. They are accustomed to following the orders of their immediate superiors, so they cannot realize that getting advice from an independent professional person is the norm of the market.
All these reasons hinder the development of both each company and the entire market as a whole. Therefore, now we should consider the reasons proving the feasibility and relevance of consulting services in the modern world. These are:
- Successful healthy competition. To successfully compete with new modern enterprises, it is necessary to minimize unnecessary costs. This can be done only through competent reallocation of costs, optimization of the workflow, and staffing of the team.
- Difficulties in managing a large enterprise. With the development of the business, the personnel composition, the distribution of responsibilities, and much more inevitably change, which has a huge impact on the productivity of the company. A consulting specialist will help you to correctly distribute the workload.
- Development of the modern market. With the development of the enterprise and the market as a whole, there is an objective need to optimize the work process to save the company from unnecessary costs and fully unleash its potential.
- An objective approach to company management. The human factor should always be considered. An employee of the company will never be able to dispassionately and as objectively as possible assess the situation since there is always a personal interest.